Wednesday, October 13, 2010

10-10-10 Perennial Planting Event

Last weekend my girls and I attended the 10-10-10 Perennial planting event, events were held world wide by 350.org to raise awareness of global warming by planning perennials (mainly edibles). This is the second year we participated and I again donated blueberry and black currant plants. It was actually this event last year that got me going on berry plant sales, it was by my aggressive efforts trying to find donations of edible perennials that I found the farmer that is currently supplying me plants - funny how things come to be like that.

We attended the planting of the tree by the Mayor at 10:10 am on 10-10-10 and then went to Roosevelt Elementary School to volunteer planing some of the donated plants. Last year when we were here there was nothing but lawn, we laid the first sheet mulch and planted away, it is AMAZING how far this garden has come in 1 year and so nice to see school kids actively involved in gardening. I now am going to get involved with the PTA at my daughters school (she started kindergarten this year) and see if I can not get them going on a garden as well. Learning how to garden is an important skill that I am sure students are going to use in their future. I am content these days with Little steps towards Sustainability....


No comments:

Post a Comment