Monday, April 5, 2010

sUpEr SuCkEr

I finally finished my Super Sucker. Yes, super sucker. It sucks very well. I hooked up a vacuum pump to an old, 50 gallon hot water heater tank (not easy to strip all the insulation, btw). So by hooking up the vacuum pump with a total of 4 valves I am able to open/close the valves in the correct order to either have it in Suction Mode (for sucking up waste vegetable oil from restaurants) or Pressure Mode (for discharging the collected oil into storage containers and/or filtering/straining). The Vacuum pump is 12 volts and it takes about 7 minutes to pull a full -32" Mercury Vacuum on the tank, which typically is done while driving to pickup the oil. The vacuum is held for as long as needed. All I need to do is stick the suction wand (yes, a wand, as in magical) into the vessel containing the oil and open the valve. The suction silently sucks the oils (~ 90% of tank capacity) into my tank. I basically can suck up 45 gallons in one suck. When done, i open/close the valves and put my sucker into pressure mode, build pressure in my tank while driving (using the same vacuum pump) and then discharge the oil where ever I need it via pressure discharge (the outlet in on the bottom so it pretty well totally drains empty). I already tested it tonight. SO MUCH easier than having to deal with pumps and compressors. Thick Waste Vegetable Oil is a MAJOR Pain In The Ass to pump. Sucking and pressure discharge is the ONLY way to go. Total costs of Super Sucker was UNDER $100. E-mail me and I can help you build one too. You know you want one :)

No comments:

Post a Comment